Terminus Hotel in Pyrmont (Sydney)
Terminus Hotel (Former Coopers Arms Inn & Hotel Pleasanton)
The Terminus Hotel is set to re-open it's doors in March 2018, 35 years after it last closed its doors in 1983.
- Alfresco courtyard
- Cocktail lounge
- High end pub grub
- Boutique accommodation
In 1899 Tooth and Co purchased the property, renaming it to the Terminus in 1911 because of its location at the corner of Harris and John Streets which marked the last stop of the former electric tram line. In 1917 the hotel was demolished and a new two storey federation style hotel was erected which is what stands there today.
New owners David Mathlin and Binu Katari purchased the hotel from developers Auswin TWT in 2016 and decided to restore the abandoned building back to its former glory and return a local watering hole to the residents & community of Pyrmont.
No expense has been spared to rejuvenate this magnificent heritage listed building into the 21st Century. The etched windows with their curled fonts have been saved, as have the pressed metal ceilings.
For the true pub enthusiasts & historian the hotel has kept the extra long front bar. Built for practicality during the times of the six o'clock swill, when pub doors would shut at 6pm (in NSW between 1916-1955) and drinkers raced against the clock to throw down as many beers as possible before closing. The longer bar helped facilitate the stream of drinkers, before the clock struck six, and the tiled walls made for easy cleaning afterwards.
Throughout all it's years of remaining closed ... the Terminus never lost her license to sell alcohol.
Former Terminus Hotel
Photo: FEB 1991
- Corner of Harris and John Streets, Pyrmont
New South Wales 2009